Skip to main content

Back to routine, baby!

Today is my second Sunday back home and it feels great to be back. Having moved to Madrid just this summer, I felt quite settled in November with my new life being ready to grow into routine. But instead of doing that, I detoured for a month and went to Thailand with my sister. Yes, report is coming up, but it'll take time as I'm not the best editor of videos.

But now I'm back and I can't wait to get into everything again.

Already, I had a really nice gettogether with Rubén's family, we spent the Spanish holiday "Día de Reyes" together. This used to be the day Spanish children would get presents which were brought to them by the three wise kings. Nowadays, both Christmas and Reyes are celebrated. More food, more presents, more time with the family. Apart from the presents, I'm all for it. We had a nice walk up the peña of Cenicientos and could enjoy a lovely view onto the village. 

I was lucky enough to find some new friends right in the summer we arrived. I have met some great girls that I hang out with. We have things in common and engange in loads of activities: play music and jam some nice Blues, dance swing, speak French or go to the theater. Or visit an art exhibition like that one about the stunning "painter of light" Sorolla. On Friday, I was at an all girls pijama party - if you accept that three year old boys count as neutral, that is. Talking about girl stuff and eating healthy food. Brilliant.
One of the reasons for leaving Barcelona was to do something about the loneliness I felt. That has changed now, I'm tellin' ya! I feel so happy that it's now not only me who calls up other people to do something - they're calling me! They want me to be part of their life and that is what really makes me feel like I belong here. 

I found a great band, Soultime. They play exactly the kind of music I love, but not only that, they're a bunch of great people, fun to hang out with. We're nine musicians and I think, once I'll have the repertoire down, it's going to be even better, because instead of thinking about whether I'm in tune, I will actually be able to enjoy the music and the company. That brings me to my Sunday evening program: review the recordings of our last rehearsal and practising my parts - I'm one of the background singers and on February 7th, we'll have a concert in Madrid. It's nice to be practising music for something. To have some purpose behind learning to distinguish intervals and being able to sing them. Being a background singer requires different things than being the front singer, and I'm all up for the challenge.

I'll write about my other new routines, too, eventually. For now, I'm going to bed, because tomorrow, I'll be working. Yet another thing that I enjoy. And I'm not being cynical. Maybe I'll write about that next time. Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My December: Thailand!

Yay,  I finally finished my video on my trip to Thailand with my sister! It was quite an experience. I had not done a backpacker trip like that before and it was to serve me as one of those trips where you step out of your comfort zone. As I don't want to bore you with many details, I will show you the video instead: Funny how in the end, I am left with only the good memories. Right after the trip, I dreaded the moment when people would ask me: "So? How was it???" Because honestly, it was not as cool as I had imagined from what people had told me. It was colorful and people were friendly, that part is true. But the backpacking? Well, I'm not a backpacker. I know that now. I don't like to pack and unpack my things every other day. My mood shifts drastically with every hour of transport I have to undergo in order to reach the next place. Travelling with my sister was a new experience. Although we had lived together in a shared flat as adults in the past

What I've been up to in the last year

Ok, here is just a quick summary to see where I left off and what I'm writing about. Jauary - Topped up hours to work full time as senior analyst quality management at Computacenter Iberia. February - trip to France with a relationship-changing experience March - Got an award for best performance 2013 - rookie in my job and decided that it was taking up to much of my time. Where's the music? April  - New opportunities coming up - new position or new life concept? May - started my Spanish self-employment: working in Germany June - Started to go running July - Moved to Madrid, stayed with Rubén's parents for a month. Then trip to London to see my Canadian host family again after ten years! August - Trip to Wuppertal, my home town. People are nice, the weather is nasty. Seriously doubt I will ever want to go back. September  - New flat in Alcorcón and the first routines in the new area - meeting new friends, going to blues sessions, going out with Madrileños Oc

Can we reprogram our world?

The other day, a thought poppped into my head: what if we could use the current global crisis to take a time to re-think, re-structure and re-program our world? If the world was an organically grown software, what would the specification book look like? How could we reprogram it to meet current needs without depending on long overhauled structures and dependencies?